Dragon

Performance issues

3 posts in this topic

When I tried (again) to get something decent out of a 4K60p recording today, I messed with all possible settings in PlayClaw.

Long story short: PlayClaw makes games lag if they run in 4K and you start recording - no matter if you record 60f, 30f, scale down to 1440p or even 1080p when recording. No matter the codec (x264, MJPEG, etc - even fast). Not only that, it also has choppy output in the recorded video files then.

It's not a performance issue of my machine. How do I know? I tried OBS for fun, and it records the game with no issues at all, even with x264 set to superfast, not ultrafast. No game lags, no playback lags later in the file. Game runs fine, OBS does not drop any frames while recording, CPU is 80-90% busy, unlike with PlayClaw.

1440p records worked fine in the past months, it's just an issue with 4K/2160p recordings.

Is there ever some fix planned? Already reported issues in August last year but got told that it's encoder-related. It's definitely not, it works flawlessly in OBS, and even random video encoding of other stuff in the background does not slow games down. Only PlayClaw's recording does.

CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.2 GHz

RAM: 32G DDR4-2133 (4x8G)

GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal

HDD/SSD does not matter, bitrate is too low to have an effect (yes, I tried the SSD anyway)

1 person likes this

I have to agree, I've encountered the very same problems. Nevertheless I had a decent talk, and they are working on it, step by step. We just have to wait unfortunately.

OBS's performance is excellent with NVENC, it's like Shadowplay but with more and better options - unless you want to use the replay buffer function in advanced mode (which will be added soon, I hope so).

For example "For Honor" truly shows the problem, recording with Playclaw for now is impossible, lagging gameplay and choppy reactions, while with OBS there are no problems at all...

...and it is not a performance issue.

CPU : i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1080

RAM: 16G DDR4-3000 (2x8G)

As a matter of fact, Windows 10 doesn't seem to be capable of recording at 2160p60 at all. Installed it some weeks ago for better hardware support, now not only PlayClaw but all other programs heavily start to stutter, game slows down to 17-20 fps, CPU load is under 40%, even the GPU switches to lower clocks because it is not being utilized.

Switched back to Win 7 just now and tested again... works like a charm, as before. 70-80 fps while recording in 2160p60 with OBS - no stutters, no performance issues. PlayClaw hasn't received a update for quite a while it seems, so no issues were resolved there.